Sunday, June 15, 2008

I try to keep my ears on when Dad talks

I’ve thought before that part of the lesson of coming to earth is to learn what it is like to be a parent. As a parent you begin to better understand God’s feelings toward all his children. I have also been fortunate to have an earthly father who helps me know what it is like to be a son of God. I know what it is to ask questions and get solid perspectives. I know what it is to be loved unconditionally and yet be subject to high expectations. I know what sacred things feel like. I know what grace is because Dad comes in and bails me out whenever I need him. I know what it is to be eternally indebted–first he gave me life (he couldn’t have done it without you Mom!), then he gave me good gifts. All he asks in return is for me to be good. If I am good, I get more of the same. I could never break even.
I can also ditto what everyone else has said. There’s a memory, though, that is special to me. One night I was having seizures, and I asked Dad for a blessing. I don’t know what I was expecting, but Dad didn’t bless me that the seizures would go away. He blessed me that I could cope with them. He later explained to me that sometimes you have to just let things happen, be strong, and ride them out. The seizures eventually went away by themselves, but I have retained the lesson. The important thing is not what happens to you-- it’s how you react to it. Dad saw that the seizures wouldn’t really hurt me, but my fear could. I was listening Dad.
I’m fortunate to have a great mom and a great dad.

4 comments:

Angie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Angie said...

Nice job Nate. You should write books or articles or something!

Cheryl said...

Nate,
I think you could send this in to the Ensign for one of the articles near the back of the magazine--the ones that I read first--the true short spiritual experiences. XOXO

Julie and Eric said...

Hello Reeve Family!
This is Julie Jensen, Eric's wife! Ruthie told me you had a blog so I googled it and here you are! I hope that you are all doing good there in Hurricane. We have a blog too, www.jollyjensens.blogspot.com. I know Eric would love to hear from you all! Love, Julie